Consultant in Anaesthetics (Pain Medicine)
- Permanent: Full / Part time
- Full time
- Part time
- Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
- £88,364 - £119,133 pa
- 30/03/2023 23:59
At NNUH it is our privilege to provide healthcare to over one million people across Norfolk and surrounding areas. Our vision is to ‘provide every patient with the care we want for those we love the most’, and if this inspires you and you share our values, we really want you to join our team.
Our values support our vision and guide the behaviour of everything we do, these are:
We look after the needs of our patients, carers and colleagues, to provide a safe and caring experience for all.
We act with care, compassion and kindness and value others’ diverse needs.
We take an honest, open and ethical approach to everything we do.
We work as one team and support each other to maintain the highest professional standards.
We continuously learn and improve to achieve the best outcomes for our patients and our hospital.
Wish you were here? So do we.
We want all our staff to achieve a balance between work and personal life and understand how important flexible working can be. We welcome applications on a full or part time basis, various shift patterns and hybrid working, where roles allow.
Applications are invited for consultant posts in the Anaesthetics. These are substantive posts created as a result of retirement and in response to service need. You will join the extensive team of anaesthetic consultants. Special interests in most major sub interests of anaesthesia can usually be accommodated.
Main duties of the job
The appointee will take his/her share of clinical responsibilities within the Department of anaesthesia. This will include provision for peri-operative assessment.
In addition to duties within subspeciality, the appointee will be required to provide anaesthesia for adult patients in all specialties as appropriate to his/her training and experience.
Working for our organisation
The Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (NNUH) is a 1300 bed tertiary teaching hospital providing surgical services for a population of approximately 1 million, serving patients from the James Paget Hospital (Great Yarmouth), and Queen Elizabeth Hospital (King’s Lynn) as well as those living in its own catchment area.
The anaesthetic department is one of the busiest in the country providing support for approximately 30000 surgical procedures per annum. It has recently been awarded the prestigious Anaesthesia Clinical Services Accreditation (ACSA). The department supports 26 theatres (17 inpatient, 6 Day Surgery, 3 regional anaesthesia only), 2 obstetric theatres, eye theatres and remote anaesthesia in various other locations around the Trust. A new 2 theatre dedicated paediatric theatre complex is due to open in October 2022 and a dedicated 2 theatre elective orthopaedic surgical suite is due to open in January 2023.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
There is an on-call commitment of approximately 1:20 basis, providing cover for emergency, thoracic and vascular emergencies. Separate on-call rosters exist for paediatric anaesthesia, weekend orthopaedic trauma, intensive care medicine and obstetric anaesthesia. In addition the appointee will cover a shoulder shift (18:30 to 20:00) in emergency theatres approximately once in every 4 weeks.
Further information can be found within the Job Description.
- FRCA or equivalent.
- Entry on the GMC Specialist Register in Anaesthesia or eligible for entry within 6 months of the date of interview
- Appropriate training and experience in Pain Medicine
- FFPMRCA or equivalent
- MD, PhD or other postgraduate qualification (PGCert, PGDip, MSc)
- ALS/EPLS/ATLS instructor or equivalent
- Good communicator.
- Capable of working in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Enthusiasm for service development and teaching
- Prepared to work in shared office space.
- Applicants who are Nationals from another European country or elsewhere overseas would have to show equivalence to the 5 years training period in the National Health Service required for the specialty
- Post CCT experience in Anaesthesia for Major General surgery.
- Commitment to continue to develop an appropriate specialist interest
- Evidence of interest in education and training.
- Evidence of engagement with research and audit.
- Publications in peer reviewed journals
- PGCert in Medical Education or equivalent.
- Up to date GCP training.
- Flexible outlook on working hours.
- Must live within a 15-mile radius of the base Trust or 30 minutes travelling time.
- Full Driving License.
- Full registration with GMC including licence to practice.
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Michael Irvine
- Job title
- Chief of Service Anaesthetics
- Telephone number
- 01603 286286
List all jobs in Medical and Dental or all sectors