Clinical Engineering Medical Equipment Technician (Mechanical)
NHS AfC: Band 5
- Clinical Engineering
- NHS AfC: Band 5
- Full time
- Flexible working
- Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital
- £23,949 - £32,934 Per annum
- 29/03/2023 23:59
At NNUH it is our privilege to provide healthcare to over one million people across Norfolk and surrounding areas. Our vision is to ‘provide every patient with the care we want for those we love the most’, and if this inspires you and you share our values, we really want you to join our team.
Our values support our vision and guide the behaviour of everything we do, these are:
We look after the needs of our patients, carers and colleagues, to provide a safe and caring experience for all.
We act with care, compassion and kindness and value others’ diverse needs.
We take an honest, open and ethical approach to everything we do.
We work as one team and support each other to maintain the highest professional standards.
We continuously learn and improve to achieve the best outcomes for our patients and our hospital.
Wish you were here? So do we.
We want all our staff to achieve a balance between work and personal life and understand how important flexible working can be. We welcome applications on a full or part time basis, various shift patterns and hybrid working, where roles allow.
An exciting opportunity has arisen within the Clinical Engineering Department at the Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, (NNUHFT) for a progression post Band 4 to Band 5 Medical Equipment Technician.
The Clinical Engineering Department directly and indirectly maintains the 24,000 medical devices within the NNUHFT and Cromer Hospitals.
The Medical Equipment Technician performs a vital role by ensuring that medical equipment maintenance and repair work is carried out promptly and in line with the manufacturer requirements
Main duties of the job
To provide planned preventative maintenance, repair, calibration, evaluation, safety testing, acceptance testing and clinical support in accordance with current standards for a wide range of highly complex specialist medical equipment for which the Clinical Engineering Department is currently responsible.
To be responsible for specialist medical and clinical lead practitioner work in areas which cover a wide range of highly specialist complex life support equipment. This work to be carried out for the Trust and other healthcare establishments as required.
To be able to plan own workload and organise servicing for the specialist area for which they are responsible, liaising with equipment users and suppliers. As the successful post holder, you may also propose policy changes or procedures within the section or department and co-ordinate, supervise, or advise junior staff.
You will also be required to:
- Under instruction and supervision participate in the evaluation medical equipment devices with the user prior to purchase, carry out acceptance testing and be involved in adaptation of equipment.
- To produce verbal and written reports, as required or self-initiated, including adverse incident reports, technical investigations, equipment appraisals, test, service reports and specifications.
- To travel as and when the service requires, to other Health Care Establishments and Home Patients in your own vehicle for which an allowance will be paid.
Working for our organisation
We can offer you the full range of NHS benefits/discounts and in addition:
- Flexible working hours
- Fast Track Staff Physiotherapy Service
- Multi Faith prayer room
- Discounted gym memberships
- Excellent pension scheme and annual leave entitlement
- Wagestream - access up to 40% of your pay as you earn it
- Free Park & Ride service direct to NNUH site
- Free 24-hours confidential counselling support
- On-site Nursery
- On-site cafes offering staff discounts
- Support in career development
- Flexible staff bank
- Salary Sacrifice schemes including lease cars, Cycle to Work scheme and home electronics
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The following skills and experience will be required and are essential for the successful candidates:
- The post holder will work under the instruction and supervision of the section manager or a senior technician to provide preventative maintenance, acceptance testing, repair calibration, evaluation and clinical support in accordance with current standards for a wide range of medical equipment for which the Clinical Engineering (Mechanical and Anaesthetic Gases) workshop is responsible
- The equipment incorporates a complex medical and surgical instrumentation used in clinical areas including wards, outpatient clinics, theatres, emergency and high risk intensive care units and requires varied skills associated with mechanical, electrical, electronic and computer based equipment. This requires a good working knowledge of electrical and mechanical workshop and machine shop practices
- To work as directed to ensure the reliability, capability and safety of all such equipment and communicate technical equipment related information to staff, colleagues and suppliers
- To disseminate information to all equipment users, including medical and nursing staff, on the safe use, operation and limitations of the patient care equipment maintained by the section
- To become familiar with all technical standards applicable to this post with particular regard to statutory requirements, departmental policies, and regulations for safe operation of equipment, safe working methods, hazard procedures and protective clothing as the post can involve some exposure to unpleasant conditions and hazards
Please refer to the Job Description for the full specification of responsibilities and requirements for this post.
- HNC Electrical or Electronic Engineering or equivalent
- Manufacturers training on a complex mechanical/electrical/electronic device
- Knowledge of computer systems, e.g. Microsoft Office Applications
- Good dexterity and coordination skills in the use of fine tools for equipment fabrication/assembly/adjustment
- Good communication and interpersonal skills both in teams and with customers. Able to interpret and communicate detailed technical information to all staff members
- Logically diagnose component and system faults
Attitude & Aptitude
- Effective role model, demonstrating NNUH’s PRIDE values of People focussed, Respect, Integrity, Dedication and Excellence
- Demonstrates understanding and commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Mike Burton
- Job title
- Workshops Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01603 286575
List all jobs in Administrative Services or all sectors