Nutrition Nurse Specialist
NHS AfC: Band 6
- NHS AfC: Band 6
- Full time
- Flexible working
- Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
- £33,706 - £40,588 per annum
- Today at 23:59
At NNUH it is our privilege to provide healthcare to over one million people across Norfolk and surrounding areas. Our vision is to ‘provide every patient with the care we want for those we love the most’, and if this inspires you and you share our values, we really want you to join our team.
Our values support our vision and guide the behaviour of everything we do, these are:
We look after the needs of our patients, carers and colleagues, to provide a safe and caring experience for all.
We act with care, compassion and kindness and value others’ diverse needs.
We take an honest, open and ethical approach to everything we do.
We work as one team and support each other to maintain the highest professional standards.
We continuously learn and improve to achieve the best outcomes for our patients and our hospital.
Wish you were here? So do we.
We want all our staff to achieve a balance between work and personal life and understand how important flexible working can be. We welcome applications on a full or part time basis, various shift patterns and hybrid working, where roles allow.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a registered nurse to join the Nutrition Specialist Nursing Team within The Gastroenterology Department at The Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital. We are a friendly, dynamic team looking after patients with a variety of conditions who require nutritional support. As a regional referral centre for type 3 intestinal failure the team also manage a growing cohort of patients receiving home parenteral nutrition.
The Gastroenterology Department at NNUH provides an excellent range of services delivered by our dedicated multidisciplinary team of clinicians, nurses and administrative personnel to the population of Norfolk. Based on its own dedicated ward within the hospital, the team work with a wide spectrum of patients including those who have complex liver disease, IBD, malnutrition and substance misuse.
Main duties of the job
We are looking to recruit a nurse with experience in Gastroenterology and/or Surgery to provide specialist advice, support and co-ordination of care to patients requiring artificial nutrition support, be this parenteral nutrition or complex enteral nutrition. The ideal candidate will be able to work as part of a team but will also work autonomously liaising with multi-disciplinary teams across hospital and community settings.
The successful applicant will therefore be integral in facilitating the ongoing expansion of the Nutrition Support Team service provided at NNUH. You will work closely with our team of clinicians in a variety of clinical settings, in educating and supporting patients ranging from short term inpatient hospitalisation to the long-term Home Parenteral or Enteral Nutrition patient. You will demonstrate a willingness to enhance your skills and knowledge to support and develop the service and the vision of the Nutrition Support Team. This will include becoming an independent nurse prescriber.
The role also involves close communication with the patient and families to educate and support them with their condition, excellent communication skills are therefore essential. We are also looking for someone who has an interest in working alongside patient support groups and to attend regional and national meetings so that the team can stay at the forefront of advancements
Working for our organisation
Join us at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and be part of a workforce of over 10,000 staff!
The NNUH is one of the largest NHS trusts in the UK, providing first-class acute care for around one million people, living in Norfolk and surrounding areas. We are a teaching and research hospital, at the forefront of innovation, home to state-of-the-art facilities, such as the Quadram Institute. We are pleased to work closely with the University of East Anglia, providing teaching opportunities for our staff and placement opportunities for their students. We attract some of the best and leading professionals from across the country and are proud that our workforce represents 94 countries from across the world.
We are a friendly, collaborative hospital, working with local services and home to N&N Hospitals Charity
We can offer you the full range of NHS benefits/discounts and in addition:
- Flexible working hours
- Fast Track Staff Physiotherapy Service
- Multi Faith prayer room
- Discounted gym memberships
- Excellent pension scheme and annual leave entitlement
- Wagestream - access up to 40% of your pay as you earn it
- Free Park & Ride service direct to NNUH site
- Free 24-hours confidential counselling support
- On-site Nursery
- On-site cafes offering staff discounts
- Support in career development
- Flexible staff bank
- Salary Sacrifice schemes including lease cars, Cycle to Work scheme and home electronics
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The following skills and experience will be required and are essential for the successful candidates:
- To provide a nutrition support service by receiving direct referrals.
- To assess, develop, prescribe, implement, and evaluate programmes of artificial nutritional support for patients within the Trust and at home.
- To co-ordinate discharge planning for patients requiring complex artificial nutritional support within the primary care setting.
- Ensure that Trust wide protocols for the maintenance of Central lines for Parenteral (Intravenous) Nutrition and Enteral tubes are formulated and appropriate training and monitoring is carried out.
- To care for central lines, administering Parenteral Nutrition, drugs to maintain line patency and manage central line complications if necessary.
- To advise and act as a resource for multidisciplinary staff on techniques and management of patients receiving artificial nutritional support.
- To organise and participate in studies, research and development of new techniques and implement where appropriate.
- Provide psychological care for patients receiving artificial nutritional support, identifying any needs that require referral to other agencies/support groups.
- To work closely with the Consultants, medical and nursing staff, multi-disciplinary team, and Heads of Department within the Directorate
Please refer to the Job Description for the full specification of responsibilities and requirements for this post.
- Registered on the appropriate part of NMC register
- Independent prescriber qualification
- Significant post registration experience, with evidence of continued professional development.
- Patient/carer management.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Effective role model, demonstrating NNUH’s PRIDE values of People focussed, Respect, Integrity, Dedication and Excellence
- Demonstrates understanding and commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Ben Booth
- Job title
- Senior Nurse Specialist
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01603 287159
List all jobs in Nursing and Midwifery or all sectors