Consultant in Gastroenterology (Luminal)
NHS Medical & Dental: Locum Consultant
- NHS Medical & Dental: Locum Consultant
- Full time - 10 sessions per week (10 PA's)
- Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital Foundation Trust
- £88,364 - £119,133 Per annum
- 17/04/2023 23:59
Gastroenterology Consultant Post
This job description is for a new post within the department of Gastroenterology at the NNUH including the Quadram Institute. We are looking to attract a high-quality applicant with an interest in upper or lower Gastrointestinal disease, nutrition, endoscopy and general internal medicine. As a large and growing department, we can accommodate a range of sub-specialist interests (see below), including research, education and training. We are supportive of those applicants who are looking for part time and or a post-retirement post.
This post has arisen due to the need for a significant expansion of our outpatient luminal GI service and a growing need to increase our upper and lower GI endoscopic provision in alignment with the opening of our brand-new state of the art endoscopy unit in the Quadram Institute, a need to increase our out-patient services and a need to support medical admissions to the hospital together a drive to increase our academic profile and support the wider STP (Sustainability and Transformation Partnership) in Norfolk and Waveney.
Main duties of the job
This post will focus on the subspecialist interest of IBD, of luminal gastroenterology. Patients with liver disease are managed by colleagues in the department with an interest in hepatology. Participation in education, training and research is encouraged. On call is exclusively for patients with luminal and liver disease. It does not include general medicine patients.
A candidate who is unable for personal reasons to undertake the duties of a whole-time post will receive equal consideration. For consultants wishing to move from existing posts we offer flexible working opportunities.
If such a candidate is appointed to this post, content will be modified as appropriate in consultation with the Gastroenterology and GI Endoscopic Service Director.
We welcome all applications irrespective of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, race or religion. Additionally, people with disabilities will be offered an interview providing they meet the minimum criteria for the post. The Trust operates job sharing and a flexible working programme.
Working for our organisation
The Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust (NNUH) is one of the busiest teaching trusts in England. We serve over 900,000 people across Norfolk, North Suffolk and surrounding areas for specialist services. In 2016/17 our 7,500 members of staff delivered 816,000 outpatient appointments, 90,000-day cases and 90,000 inpatient admissions from our two hospitals.
- The Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital is located on the Norwich Research Park and serves the population of Norfolk and Norfolk Suffolk and further afield for specialist services. It opened in 2001 and is a 1,200-bed teaching hospital with state-of-the-art facilities. We provide a wide range of secondary and tertiary services, including Accident and Emergency. The trust will be commemorating 250 years of a hospital in Norwich in 2021.
- Cromer and District Hospital is located in Cromer on the North Norfolk coast and serves the North Norfolk population. It was redeveloped in 2012 to replace the 1930s-founded hospital. We provide a wide range of consultant-led outpatient services, day case operations and a Minor Injuries Unit (MIU). The trust is commemorating 150 years of a hospital in Cromer in 2017/18.
Our vision is to ‘provide every patient with the care we want for those we love the most’, Our PRIDE values support our vision and guide the behaviour of everything we do.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please read the attached detailed job description for full duties and responsibilities of this full time Consultant post in Gastroenterology
- Full GMC with licence to practice
- CCT in General Medicine & Gastroenterology or equivalent (must be confirmed by PMETB/GMC)
- Entry on GMC specialist register or eligibilty for entry within 6 months of the AAC date
- Higher degree
- Overseas nationals must have equivalent of 5 years training in the NHS required for the specialty
- Experience in research or published papers in area of special interest
- Ability to communicate effectively with clinical colleagues, colleagues in pathology and support staff
- Good knowledge of, and ability to use, spoken and written English
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Arun Shankar
- Job title
- Consultant and Service Director
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01603 288143
List all jobs in Medical and Dental or all sectors