Pre Registration Nurse (Medicine) - Summer 2023 Graduates
NHS AfC: Band 4
- NHS AfC: Band 4
- Full time
- Part time
- Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital
- £23,949 - £26,282 per annum pro rata
- 30/03/2023 23:59
At NNUH it is our privilege to provide healthcare to over one million people across Norfolk and surrounding areas. Our vision is to ‘provide every patient with the care we want for those we love the most’, and if this inspires you and you share our values, we really want you to join our team.
Our values support our vision and guide the behaviour of everything we do, these are:
We look after the needs of our patients, carers and colleagues, to provide a safe and caring experience for all.
We act with care, compassion and kindness and value others’ diverse needs.
We take an honest, open and ethical approach to everything we do.
We work as one team and support each other to maintain the highest professional standards.
We continuously learn and improve to achieve the best outcomes for our patients and our hospital.
Wish you were here? So do we.
We want all our staff to achieve a balance between work and personal life and understand how important flexible working can be. We welcome applications on a full or part time basis, various shift patterns and hybrid working, where roles allow.
Start your career with us, as a Newly Qualified Nurse!
The Medicine Division at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (NNUH) is gearing up to welcome the next cohort of First Post Qualified Nurses for 2023. We are proud to offer for all newly qualified joining us a robust preceptorship programme supported by excellent, friendly and experienced Clinical Education teams. As one of the UKs largest teaching hospitals NNUH is well equipped to support our new Nurses as they begin their exciting new career path.
Choosing your speciality!
Our Medicine Division is one of the largest at NNUH, comprising a wide variety of specialities. This is your chance to join #TeamMedicine in one of these specialty areas – Older People’s Medicine, Cardiology, Neurosciences, Diabetes & Endocrinology, Renal Medicine, Rheumatology, Oncology & Haematology, Acute Medical Unit, Gastroenterology or Respiratory.
Within each speciality is a team of professionals excited to welcome you to the team and support you into post as you find your way in your role! The leadership team in medicine will be happy to support and encourage your professional ambitions and development within the trust and are proud of the many examples career progression and the success stories of colleagues moving into specialist nurse posts, research posts or management posts across the division.
Main duties of the job
Your preceptorship and beyond!
Our Practice Development and Education team will be there to support you during your preceptorship period and beyond. We are proud to offer and support all our Newly Qualified Nurses through a comprehensive Preceptorship scheme for a minimum of 12 months.
When you start with us, you will be assigned an appropriately trained preceptor/mentor, who will support and work with you throughout your preceptorship.
We have a specialised two week supernumerary induction programme which will take place in July/September depending on graduation date. This gives you an opportunity to meet the Clinical Educators, get to know the hospital, the NNUH team, attend workshops to facilitate your clinical skills and gives you time in your department. Further to this, there are opportunities to complete a transitional learning needs analysis, access to four bespoke sessions for your continuing professional development (CPD) as part of the Preceptorship Academy and you will have access to the clinical Skills programme with bespoke IV drug administration day for newly qualified nurses.
Are you a student Nurse graduating in 2023?
Make an application today! Please indicate the area of medicine you’re interested in joining within your application.
For more information/to arrange a visit to the ward/department please contact our Recruitment team on 01603 287578 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Working for our organisation
We operate with a strong cooperative approach working with interdisciplinary and inter-team collaboration being a regular feature. As such we value excellent team values, communication and interpersonal skills in all of our nursing team.
Outside of NNUH Norwich and Norfolk have a huge amount to offer and can cater to a diverse range of interests. From 90 miles of stunning coastline to the famous Norfolk Broads, the UK’s largest protected wetlands, home to more than a quarter of the country’s rarest animals and birds, the scenic Norfolk Countryside is packed with hidden gems to uncover. If you prefer city life Norwich is a unique city with a rich history and independent spirit leading to many fantastic independently owned shops, restaurants and cafes lining the picturesque cobbled streets neighbouring all the biggest brands and chains you could possibly want to find in a major city.
If you are thinking about your career as a FPQ nurse in September 2023 choose NNUH! We would love to hear from you. If you know you would like to join the emergency department or would like to know more about the team fill out an application and join us for a career evening in February.
Find us on social media:
Instagram - norfolkandnorwichhospital
Twitter - @NNUH and @NNUHjobs
Facebook - @NNUH.nhs and facebook.com/NNUHjobs
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please view attached job description for full details
1. Ensure practice is in accordance with the NMC Code and work within limits of competence.
2. Assist in the management of patient case load under the direction of the Registered Nurse
3. To accurately and promptly carry out the instructions of the Registered Nurse who is professionally accountable for the delivery of care.
4. Carry out assessment, planning, delivery and evaluation of nursing care under the direction of a more senior member of staff.
5. To report to registered staff any patient that gives cause for concern or any observed changes in a patient’s clinical condition
6. To report all care provided to patients within the team to the Registered Nurse.
Accountable for those patients.
7. To accurately document all care delivered to patients, countersigned by a Registered Nurse maintaining confidentiality at all times.
8. To respond appropriately to clinical emergencies, participating in emergency situations, and observing experienced nurses in order to further develop management skills in this area.
9. To be aware of and adhere to all Trust policies and guidelines when
undertaking any activities e.g. Infection Control and Uniform / Dress Code.
10. Provide and deliver a high standard of person centred patient care in
accordance with all essential standards (CQC).
11. To assist in the preparation of patients and equipment for treatment,
investigations or procedures as directed by a Registered Nurse.
12. To support the patient and care for the patient pre, peri and post procedure, when appropriate, under the direction of the Registered Nurse.
13. To chaperone/escort patients to other clinical departments under the direction of the Registered Nurse.
14. To support relatives under the guidance of a Registered Nurse
15. To assist with the admission and discharge process for patients directed by Registered Nurse.
16. To maintain confidentiality of information (written, verbal, electronic), whilst being aware of the Freedom for Information Act.
17. To ensure the safe custody, supply and administration of drugs and therapeutic substances working to the level of a third year student and under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse.
18. Ensure the safekeeping of patients' property and valuables
- Completion of Pre-Registration training to diploma or degree level (final award to be confirmed)
- Recent experience of nursing in an acute hospital environment
- Knowledge / experience of relevant speciality
- Good communication and inter-personal skills
- Ability to maintain high standards of care
- Time management skills
- Effective role model, demonstrating NNUH’s PRIDE values of People focussed, Respect, Integrity, Dedication and Excellence
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Andrew Sexstone
- Job title
- Recruitment Advisor
- Email address
- Additional information
Recruitment Advisor – Medicine Division, Women & Children Division, and Corporate Services
20 Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1QQ
General Enq: 01603 287578 or email@example.com
List all jobs in Nursing and Midwifery or all sectors