NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Full time - 10 sessions per week
- Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
- £88,364 - £119,133 per annum
- 28/03/2023 23:59
At NNUH it is our privilege to provide healthcare to over one million people across Norfolk and surrounding areas. Our vision is to ‘provide every patient with the care we want for those we love the most’, and if this inspires you and you share our values, we really want you to join our team.
Our values support our vision and guide the behaviour of everything we do, these are:
We look after the needs of our patients, carers and colleagues, to provide a safe and caring experience for all.
We act with care, compassion and kindness and value others’ diverse needs.
We take an honest, open and ethical approach to everything we do.
We work as one team and support each other to maintain the highest professional standards.
We continuously learn and improve to achieve the best outcomes for our patients and our hospital.
Wish you were here? So do we.
We want all our staff to achieve a balance between work and personal life and understand how important flexible working can be. We welcome applications on a full or part time basis, various shift patterns and hybrid working, where roles allow.
We are excited to offer this rare opportunity for the post of Consultant Medical Virologist in the Eastern Pathology Alliance (EPA) department of Medical Microbiology based at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital and the Norwich Research Park.
Main duties of the job
- Provide a comprehensive Virology service for all users of the laboratory. Including the three acute trusts (NNUHFT, JPUH, and QEHKL) as well as GP and Community.
- Out of hours (on-call) service includes provision of advisory services to James Paget University Hospital and Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, in addition to NNUHFT.
- Liaise with medical staff in other specialties and participate in regular clinical meetings and other postgraduate activities of the NNUHFT.
- Take part in the Royal College of Pathologists continuing medical education programme. The Trust will provide study leave expenses in line with national terms and conditions of service.
- Teaching and training- this includes supporting the in-house training of STRs undergoing Combined Infection Training, Higher Training in Microbiology, and Higher Training in Virology, Academic Clinical Fellows, Trust Doctors, as well as trainee clinical scientists, and BMS staff.
- Participate in the rolling process of healthcare governance at NNUHFT.
Working for our organisation
The world class facilities and exceptional work the existing staff undertake make Norwich Research Park highly respected and the fourth most highly cited UK location after London, Oxford and Cambridge. The successful candidate will become part of a team with other two Medical Virologists sharing the provision of day to day clinical Virology covering a wide and diverse area.
Our amazing, highly specialist existing team in microbiology consists of around 91 members of staff. Under current Clinical Lead Dr Reham Soliman all diagnostic microbiology and virology work for EPA is performed at NNUH. Each of the three Acute Trusts retains local Consultants clinical microbiologists for service delivery while the virology team at NNUH carries out the Clinical Virology services for all three trusts.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please refer to the ‘Job Description’ link to the right of the page for the full specification of responsibilities and requirements for this post.
This is an exceptional opportunity to work in a cutting edge environment that does not come around very often. If you have the experience, knowledge and qualifications for this position we want to hear from you.
The Advisory Appointment Committee will meet on 8th June 2023
- Full and Specialist registration (and with a licence to practise) with the General Medical Council (GMC), or be eligible for registration within six months of interview.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists by examination in Virology.
- Clinical training and experience equivalent to that required for gaining UK CCT in Virology
- Experience in clinical management of viral infectious diseases and infections in special populations e.g. immunocompromised patients.
- Ability to apply research outcomes to clinical problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clinical colleagues, colleagues in pathology and support staff
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Reham Soliman
- Job title
- Consultant Medical Microbiologist
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01603 288586
List all jobs in Medical and Dental or all sectors