Specialty Doctor in Older People's Medicine
- Older People's Medicine (OPM)
- Specialty Doctor
- Full time - 10 sessions per week
- Norfolk and Norfolk University Hospital
- £50,373 - £78,759 per annum
- 19/04/2023 23:59
At NNUH it is our privilege to provide healthcare to over one million people across Norfolk and surrounding areas. Our vision is to ‘provide every patient with the care we want for those we love the most’, and if this inspires you and you share our values, we really want you to join our team.
Our values support our vision and guide the behaviour of everything we do, these are:
We look after the needs of our patients, carers and colleagues, to provide a safe and caring experience for all.
We act with care, compassion and kindness and value others’ diverse needs.
We take an honest, open and ethical approach to everything we do.
We work as one team and support each other to maintain the highest professional standards.
We continuously learn and improve to achieve the best outcomes for our patients and our hospital.
Wish you were here? So do we.
We want all our staff to achieve a balance between work and personal life and understand how important flexible working can be. We welcome applications on a full or part time basis, various shift patterns and hybrid working, where roles allow.
This is a substantive appointment to a new Specialty Doctor position within Older People’s Medicine department (OPM). This post is in Geriatric medicine working in acute geriatric medicine inpatients and outpatients covering a broad range of subspecialties within the care of the older person including ortho-geriatrics, dementia, delirium and acute illness. The Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital is recruiting Doctors with a passion for caring for Older People.
You’ll need to share our passion for innovation in the way we treat Older People and our caring nature: Our recent Friends and Family Test showed 97% of patients would recommend us to a family member. Above all, you’ll be able to demonstrate the skillset and mindset that matches our ambition to set the gold standard for the care of Older People.
Main duties of the job
The successful appointee will be expected to:
- Work across the OPM wards and may be asked to cover OPM admissions to AMU.
- Ensure patients are assessed and reviewed on the OPM wards, which may be part of the consultant ward round or may be an individual ward round.
- Communicate with patients’ relatives.
- Supervise more junior medical colleagues.
- Keep accurate patient records as required; these must be dated, timed and signed off appropriately and be easily identifiable.
- Produce timely discharge letters, with accurate and comprehensive diagnoses, and supervise their production by more junior colleagues.
- Participate in the management of occasional emergencies and in unforeseen circumstances at the request of an appropriate Consultant.
- Agree to read and follow medical guidelines and policies.
- Take part in Clinical Governance activity, including Clinical Audit
- Attend training and education sessions, regularly in the department.
Working for our organisation
This is a large teaching hospital department, with ~8300 admissions per annum and an overall average length of stay of ~12 days. We have 5 wards, an outpatient department and strong working relationships with our front door and neighbouring provider Trusts.
OPED: Our continued work on Frailty identification and intervention has seen a significant redesign of our services; this led in 2017 to the creation of a dedicated Older Peoples ED (OPED).
This service is situated within the emergency department’s footprint. The focus of the service is to identify Frailty and expedite tailored expert intervention between the hours of 8am and 6pm, seven days a week. OPED consists of a four trollied bay and 2 side rooms where patients are assessed by the team. The daily team consists of specialty doctors, ACPs and a consultant geriatrician working in conjunction with the Early intervention team which consists of a physio/occupational therapist. The team also reviews those patients in other parts of the emergency department including resus. Patients if requiring admission are triaged appropriate depending on working diagnosis.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please read the attached job description for details responsibilities and comprehensive details about our Hospital
- Essential MBBS or equivalent medical experience only
- Full GMC with a licence to practice at the time of application
- Have evidence that their career progression is consistent with their personal circumstances
- Have evidence that their present level of achievement and performance is commensurate with the totality of their period of training
- Ability to apply sound knowledge and judgement to problems
- Demonstrates understanding of research, including awareness of ethical issues
- Able to work in multi-professional teams and supervise junior medical staff
- Shows initiative/drive/enthusiasm (self-starter, motivated, shows curiosity, initiative)
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr James Edwards
- Job title
- Service Director for Older People’s Medicine
- Email address
- Telephone number
List all jobs in Medical and Dental or all sectors